Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:27:20 -0400
> Many of us, me included, do not want the two combined. In my opinion, once
> that were to happen, the traditional single ops would be forced to use
> spotting if they wanted to be competitive.

Is that "forced" really true? Let's arbitrarily say that "competitive"
is "in the top 5 of a category".

Let's arbitrarily take the CQ WW CW 2011 final scores and zoom in on US LP, and
compare top five assisted scores vs top five unassisted scores.

Top 5 unassisted scores were 4.5M, 4.4M, 4.3M, 3.9M, and 3.5M.

Top 5 assisted scores were 3.2M, 2.5M, 2.0M, 2.0M, and 2.0M.

e.g. none of the "top assisted" would have a competitive unassisted score.

Similar patterns exist for every category, HP vs LP, DX vs US,
whatever. Assisted ops are usually not currently competitive in the
big-boy top-gun sense. Admittedly this is mostly self-selection.

I think the swarms of assisted often put themselves at a disadvantage
by calling all zero-beat for the rare mult, I can stroll on up and
call 150Hz high or low and work the rare mult first try. Fine by me.

Me? I think the contests that disallow assistance are fun. I think
contests that have assisted and non-assisted categories are fun. I
think contests that make no distinction as to assisted or not, are
fun.

Tim N3QE