Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:13:46 -0700

Cause that sounds like so much fun?

I like contesting because I find it enjoyable, but I don't find trying to stay awake for the majority of 48 hours fun at all. It's painful at best and leaves me feeling hungover afterward, and often weakens me to the point of being more susceptible to colds and such. I just don't bother to compete aggressively anymore as a result ... it simply isn't worth it.

There is a HUGE difference between a skill-based competition and an endurance-based competition. Some people gravitate more toward one than the other, and a very select few are good at both. Having different categories based upon operating time merely provides opportunity for a greater number of participants to focus on whichever aspect they find enjoyable.

Merely outlasting a more skilled op doesn't sound all that gratifying to me anyway.

Dave   AB7E