Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:24:55 -0600
It would be a fun contest for 90 percent of the people and a boring one for 10 percent and this would be bad? I didn't look up the numbers. If 90 percent of Marathon runners dropped out at the 13 mile mark would people continue to run them? My brief google search provided anecdotal evidence that over 90 percent who start the race actually finish. Contrasted with what we have in radio contests. Where 2 percent put in 40 hours and 98 percent don't.

*IF* a 24 hour option were offered I would hope that it would be operate 24 hours out of the 48. This would require the op to decide when the best time for him would be. It would add more strategy. If you end up operating all on Saturday and the super opening happened Sunday you could be SOL.

You could also allow participants to operate more than 24 but the first 24 hours of operation time are what would be counted. This open some doors to some unscrupulous practices.

How about allowing the use of a 2nd callsign once the 24 hours is up for the 1st one? This is a common practice in SS where the Sunday rates are less than ideal even with people using multiple calls.

 Mike W0MU

On 3/30/2013 7:35 PM, Tom Osborne wrote: > Mike said: > > I suspect a "24 Hour" category would show very positive numbers initially. > I'm doubtful there would be this sudden surge of "Casual Joe" type ops (they > typically get on when they get on) but maybe a few would up their game. In > all likelihood the bulk of "24 Hour" entrants would come from "30-36 Hour" > guys that dial it back. Net result is less overall activity/QSOs. But that > may all be fine and good in the end. > > > Hi Mike > > But, what if all the 24 hour guys operate the first 24 and then quit? That > would make for a boring weekend for the 48 hour guys. 73 > Tom W7WHY > > > > _______________________________________________ > CQ-Contest mailing list > CQ-Contest@contesting.com > http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest