Re: [CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?

To: <k5zd@charter.net>, "'Rick Dougherty'" <rick@nq4i.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 18:16:29 +1200
If you think contesting into EU from Georgia is tough, you should try it
from ZL! At least in GA you still have the benefit of being in a large
population center and right next to a huge pool of DXCC-type "score
enhancers" to the south.

Although the playing field will never be level, there are things that can be
done to make comparing one score to another more meaningful, and to reduce
the advantages that come from being in an area that's densely populated with
hams or one that's on at the border between several multipliers --
advantages which say nothing about a given ham's operating or
station-building skills.

What I would like to see is a general move away from DXCC, continents or
zones for scoring. Instead, move toward using grid squares and distance, as
in Stew Perry. That wouldn't preclude having an additional multiplier of
some kind, such as prefixes in WPX. At the same time, we could also move
away from sending meaningless "59" reports.

73, Rick ZL2HAM