Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:01:13 -0400 (EDT)
Glad to see incremental improvement in contest rules, thanks Randy!

Just strikes me, ham radio "logic" vs. rest of the life logic.
Where in life do we have 3 times "penalty" for mistake, error, innacuracy? You answer question on test wrong, do you get "penalized" by taking 3 more
questions out (into negative score) to "teach" you?
You get speeding ticket, police gives you 3 times miles over the limit to "teach" you? Etc.

As Don writes, it is the relic from paper log days, that some "ham lawyer" figured
would be good thing to teach those slopy, cheating hams lesson.
Records, actually there are some old records that are inflated due to old (non)checking
and are hard to beat with "penalizing" system of new checking.
Had that happen to me.
Problem with QSO with error? Just don't count it. Simple, logical, normal!

Thanks for the small step for the hamkind!

Now, why do we still penalize large radio countries with ZERO points per QSO? Another relic from the distant past. With today's technology, SDRs, no need for that,
make it more fair and give everybody 2 or 3 points per QSO.

As another example of ham radio "logic", back to MY skimmer (gadget) being
classified as SOMEONE else (person) and treated as ASSISTANT.
Time to treat things as they are, not what they pretend to do. Where is the borderline?

I am not getting into "extending mike and headphones" with remotering
and making business out of it and QST/ARRL promoting it.

Good luck in WPX!

73  Yuri, K3BU.us
www.MVmanor.com