Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes

To: cq contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 23:02:37 -0400
Hans -

Actually, this exact type of issue has been worked out in any number of sports.

Let's take American football: Depending upon the infraction, the offending team does not simply lose their turn, or force a "do over"; they're assessed yards, or a loss of down or similar. The point is to encourage abiding by the rules, and strongly discourage breaking them by making their infraction painful, and causing them to not want to do it again.

Same here. If taking a (wrong) guess at a callsign only results in losing that QSO, that's not such a big thing, really. Perhaps guessing the callsign and logging the QSO allows the operator to move on to the next QSO, whichmay be easier to work. Worst case, the QSO is removed, but if they guessed correctly, it was kind of a bonus for them. If they had to be certain of the call, they'd have had to make a decision to 1) not log the QSO, or 2) Take more time to confirm the callsign (which takes additional time, of course).

Just my 2 cents as I spend the day doing outside chores, and working on antennas rather than doing the WPX CW contest, which would likely be more fun. CR2X is knocking them dead on 15M right now.

73,
Steve
NN4X