Re: [CQ-Contest] Towards a critical examination of the 2-point rule in C

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Towards a critical examination of the 2-point rule in CQWW
From: Kim Östman <kim.ostman@tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:10:33 +0200
Kelly, I think we all agree that the continental divides and the 1/3-point
rule make it impossible for just anybody from anywhere to win. VE4 is
probably even more disadvantaged than OH6 in terms of available QSOs and
multipliers, but I don't think we are realistically aiming for some big
worldwide victory from our locations, right?

The crux of the matter is an exception that was created once upon a time for
apparently another purpose, but in the here and now it is rigging the game
at the top in favor of a small subset (z7/z8). The basic 1/3 point rule as
such is for sure not fair to all, but you can't maintain narrow exceptions
for just a select group either. This is what my argument focused on.

As I see it, life with a 1/3-point rule without any exceptions is really
simple:

"I want to be #1 WW and I live in NA" => go to zone 9
"I want to be #1 WW and I live in EU" => go to zone 33
"I want to be #1 NA and I live in NA" => go to zone 8
"I want to be #1 EU and I live in EU" => go to zone 14

73
Kim

P.S. Where is that bridge you mentioned? :)