Re: [CQ-Contest] Towards a critical examination of the 2-point rule in C

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Towards a critical examination of the 2-point rule in CQWW
From: Kim Östman <kim.ostman@tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:08:44 +0200
Dear Mike,

I agree that leaving out AF was quite an oversight on my part, thanks for
bringing it up.

To see whether this really changes the situation I again looked at the
numbers. There are 77 AF country multipliers, which is a lot. However, AF is
an anomaly in the sense that a very large proportion of the countries are
rare DX that are hardly ever on the air. If one could argue that many NA/SA
multipliers are never on the air (a bad thing for the close-by z7/z8), then
this is doubly true for AF (a bad thing for the close-by EU zones).

Anyway, for an accurate data-based comparison let's look at the AF
multipliers in the top SOAB HP CQWW CW logs from 2012:

Zone 8 (NA): 13 worked countries, 41 country multipliers in total on all
bands
Zone 9 (SA): 11 worked countries, 52 country multipliers in total on all
bands
Zone 14 (EU): 14 worked countries, 58 country multipliers in total on all
bands
Zone 15 (EU): 16 worked countries, 57 country multipliers in total on all
bands
Zone 33 (AF): 15 worked countries, 48 country multipliers in total on all
bands

Interestingly enough, the best z9 station worked more AF multipliers than
the station based in AF itself!

Based on these numbers, it is not a game-changer that would alter the
"multipliers" argument.

73
Kim