[CQ-Contest] Contest Teams

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Teams
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:24:53 -0600
Opening up the team competition to be more than just combining scores would be very interesting. The software to allow multiple stations to interact as a "distributed multi-multi" already exists. Remote multi-operator stations are already straightforward, if not easy, as the K4VV team has demonstrated. So the idea of multiple operators using multiple stations is certainly do-able, although with the demise of the WW X-treme category, such operation does not have a "home" in any major contest at the moment.

Here are some possible team scenarios:

1) Multiple operators using one station via remote links, ala K4VV.
2) Multiple independent stations networked together for logging, ala many IARU HQ operations 3) Multiple stations with a single operator using remote control and networked together
    3a) All stations are single-band throughout the contest
3b) All stations are multi-band but the team is limited to one signal per band 3c) Combination of single- and multi-band stations plus multiplier stations 4) Receive-only stations added in "partner mode" over the network to support transmitting station

I'm sure this inventive audience will think of many more ways to combine multiple operators and multiple stations :-) Deciding on strategies would be challenging - do you optimize by station capability, by operator capability, how do you allocate time slots between operators and stations, etc etc etc. I mean, really, we've been playing essentially the same game for upwards of 80 years. Surely there are other useful ways of competing.

On the second question - why don't we ask them? I completely agree that what they come up with would be unlikely to look all that familiar but it would probably be fun. As long as the resulting activity advances radio know-how and operating skill, why not?

73, Ward N0AX