Re: [CQ-Contest] Topband: Stew Perry Streaming Audio

To: "'Joe'" <nss@mwt.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Topband: Stew Perry Streaming Audio
From: <n1cc@jlaporta.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:32:07 -0600
The available methodology for streaming video/audio can allow instant or
somewhat time delayed broadcast of what you send and receive.  The vendor
that I use, "justin.tv", provides a load-dependent delay ... I used it
during Christmas Carol this year -- when active the delay is 15 to 30
seconds, depending on the network loading as well as the density of users on
your site.  I chose the "free" option that puts commercial interruptions on
your stream that further delays you and at somewhat random times.  You can
PAY for the stream, and put a delay of up to 180 seconds on your stream at
the provider, and not have the random advertising.

My own results using it were good, until the last hour of the SSB
stream/audio when a "jamming nut" started rebroadcasting my delayed audio
and the audio of the calling stations on my 20 Meter frequency.  I stood it
as long as I could, at a 120 QPH run rate, then I had to shut the audio
off... with nothing to send the "jammer" started playing old Frank Sinatra
music.  He faded out somewhat (was a transmitter in the western USA and
faded out with the southern California callers) and I kept up the run till
end of my "advertised" special event at 100+ work rate.  For the non-jamming
periods I have gotten a lot of results from guys via Email and their QSLs so
far that thanked me for the stream so they could hear how they sounded at my
station.

So, if you are doing a special event on phone, I now know that streaming is
a "NO-NO" because we do have idiots in this world that will jam you.  If you
are in a contest, and moving about, and want either non-hams or guys not in
the contest to hear what is going on it is a very nice tool -- and can be a
recruiting tool for folks too.  Contests and Stew Perry-like events attract
jammers too, we all just move off the frequency when that becomes a bother,
a Special Event stays too long on a frequency to not end up with these
criminals coming on to you to create their own "delight at crime"

I think Eric should have streamed the Stew Perry, I don't think anyone would
have any advantage by listening to his stream, since it should have been
somewhat delayed... if Joe could not make it delay, well folks will argue
about that one.

73, Jim N1CC

Amateur Radio Station N1CC
Contesting and DX