Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation....Have they beenre-invented?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation....Have they beenre-invented?
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:13:03 -0500
This subject was debated at some length a few years ago. Some would say what you send doesn't matter as long was the submitted log contains the correct category and that you consistently send the same value. Others argue that you should send the power you are running - again use the same value for all the QSOs you have. As with most of these debates I don't think a conclusion was reached in the earlier debate. Similar deal for All Asia where you send your age or the check value in Sweepstakes.

Personally I just log what is sent to me. There are stations that might send 99 that sound like perhaps it should be 999 and others that send K that sound more like 10. The station might be in null in the antenna pattern or too close for the antenna height, or..... I used to try to work a friend about 900 miles away on 40M and even with both of us running a KW we could barely hear each other and sometimes not at all. One morning about 2AM local time several years ago I was working stations on all continents from the east coast with equal strength on 15M regardless of the direction I pointed the yagi I was using. I am sure there are hundreds of similar incidents happening all the time making it difficult to know whether a station is telling the truth about the amount of power they are running.

If someone runs a KW and sends 99 that does not concern me. If that person submits the log claiming that he/she was actually running 99W, then that is a rule violation subject to any penalty enforcement allowed by the contest sponsor. If the submitted log claims to be running a KW then it seems to be non-issue to me.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Zack Widup