Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category

To: Contest Reflector <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:23:25 -0700
According to the ARRL November Sweepstakes announcement in November 1975 QST
(P51-52), the class A limit (low power) was
200 watts input power. This makes sense - my SB401/303 combo was rated at 180
watts input power, and put out around 100 - 120
watts or so according to my Heath HM-102 wattmeter (who’s accuracy was and is
somewhat questionable, but not bad).

I suspect the change to 150 watts was somewhat arbitrary - they most likely
wanted something that allowed these transmitters to
continue at the same level but support the FCC’s new (at the time) output power
limits with some leeway. 100 watts does seem a bit
low when you take these radios into account, but that tends to line up with the
transistorized transceivers that have followed.

Perhaps Jim Cain (K1CN ?) might be able to shed light on the change - he was
the ARRL contest person when I was at the League,
and probably was still in that role when the change was made.

Jack B, W6FB