Re: [CQ-Contest] Multistate sections? (Was "Move to disband MARsection..

To: "Paul Stoetzer" <n8hm@arrl.net>, "Art Boyars" <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multistate sections? (Was "Move to disband MARsection...")
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:06:34 -0000
Can you imagine having to send "GASCCUIOP" as your SEC in SS?

73, de Hans, K0HB

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Stoetzer
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 2:22 PM
To: Art Boyars
Cc: cq-contest@contesting.com

Art,

Delaware was part of Maryland-Delaware-DC, just like the Georgia-South
Carolina-Cuba section or the Utah-Wyoming section.

From my reading of a few of the rules announcements from the past in
the QST Archives, sections have always been the multiplier (though the
term "multiplier" was not applied initially) with no exceptions other
than the Northern Territories exception added because there never has
been an ARRL/CRRL/RAC field organization in Yukon, NWT, or Nunavut.

Here are the ARRL divisiona and sections in existence at the time of
the first Sweepstakes in Janaury 1930:

January, 1930

ATLANTIC DIVISION
-----------------
Eastern Pennsylvania (EPA)
Maryland-Delaware-District of Columbia (MDDC)
Southern New Jersey (SNJ)
Western New York (WNY)
Western Pennsylvania (WPA)

CENTRAL DIVISION
----------------
Illinois (IL)
Indiana (IN)
Kentucky (KY)
Michigan (MI)
Ohio (OH)
Wisconsin (WI)

DAKOTA DIVISION
---------------
North Dakota (ND)
South Dakota (SD)
Northern Minnesota (NMN)
Southern Minnesota (SMN)

DELTA DIVISION
--------------
Arkansas (AR)
Louisiana (LA)
Mississippi (MS)
Tennessee (TN)

HUDSON DIVISION
---------------
Eastern New York (ENY)
New York City and Long Island (NLI)
Northern New Jersey (NNJ)

MIDWEST DIVISION
----------------
Iowa (IA)
Kansas (KS)
Missouri (MO)
Nebraska (NE)

NEW ENGLAND DIVISION
--------------------
Connecticut (CT)
Maine (ME)
Eastern Massachusetts (EMA)
New Hampshire (NH)
Rhode Island (RI)
Vermont (VT)
Western Massachusetts (WMA)

NORTHWESTERN DIVISION
---------------------
Alaska (AK)
Idaho (ID)
Montana (MT)
Oregon (OR)
Washington (WA)

PACIFIC DIVISION
----------------
East Bay (EB)
Hawaii (HI)
Nevada (NV)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SF)
Sacramento Valley (SV)
Arizona (AZ)
Philippines (KA1)
San Diego (SDG)

ROANOKE DIVISION
----------------
North Carolina (NC)
Virginia (VA)
West Virginia (WV)

ROCKY MOUNTAIN DIVISION
-----------------------
Colorado (CO)
Utah-Wyoming (UWY)

SOUTHEASTERN DIVISION
---------------------
Alabama (AL)
Florida (FL)
Georgia-South Carolina-Cuba-Isle of Pines (GASCCUIOP)
Porto Rico-Virgin Islands (PRVI)

WEST GULF DIVISION
------------------
Northern Texas (NTX)