Re: [CQ-Contest] Spring & NAQP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spring & NAQP
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:11:37 -0800
On Mon,1/26/2015 12:59 PM, David Siddall wrote:
Hi Jim,

It isn't surprising that you failed to work every station that was on in a contest -- I never have either!

Unlike most DC contesters, I enter most contests with a full bore effort. When I miss a mult like DC 2/3 of the time that it's a mult, and it's often the only US mult I miss, it tells me that few DC ops are serious contesters. But you still want to be a mult.

Please go through your 110,000 QSOs again looking for some of the other multipliers. I suggest:

North Korea
Ethiopia
Vatican
Nepal

Your argument is that we should limit multiplier status to entities that consistently participate.

My position is that we should not be ADDING mult status for entities that don't support the contests where they are already multipliers. I work most major contests (except DX and 160 contests) with 1.5kW and a damned good antenna farm, including Beverages. If I'm missing DC 2/3 of the time, their activity does not even come close to justify adding DC as a mult. Remember -- RTTY RU mults count once -- that tells me no one in DC was on the air in a serious way for RTTY RU in 2012 and 2014.

Do you really think that this is the way to promote contest activity?

I think it's irrelevant to promoting contest activity. I talked earlier about the difficulty of putting a decent station on the air in a major city like DC. And when you make a single city a multiplier, it benefits only those few guys who get on the air, and the close-in guys who can work them (because most have limited antenna farms, noise, etc. If DC is to be a multiplier, why not Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Boston, New York, Philadelphia? I suspect that if we did the research, we would find most of those cities have comparable area and greater population.

73, Jim K9YC

73,  Dave

p.s. In fact, we met at a PVRC meeting in Maryland where you talked about chokes. You're certainly welcome any time.