[CQ-Contest] What is split?

To: Contest Internet <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What is split?
From: Charles Henry <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 22:39:15 +0000
Having operated HS0ZCW for 10 years and created many pile ups, often because I
am the only DX for EU to hear that day, but due to all that op, I know a few
things.......
-A surprising number of hams do not know enough English to know what "split"
and "up" means.-Nor enough English to understand when I call for EU or NA and a
Russian calls in instead.-Not understanding how to manipulate his radio to
obtain split.
Due to my good propagation into places with little English, I have tried to
converse with lots of hams with non-NA call signs only to find they learned to
say only their call signs, 59, and their name and QTH.  Anything else,
including my effort to teach what "split" means are met with apologies for no
more English.   It is not my fault that English is the language of ham radio,
but these fellows vocabularies are very limited in English.
A very large nation North of me has ops who can not cope with any phonetics for
their own call signs except the one set they learned.  Any other phonetics are
someone else's call signs to them.
And, yes, I often meet hams outside NA/EU/JA who honestly do not know how to
set up their rig for split op.  Their instruction books are in English, too.
SO, I CALL ON A BIG CLUB TO COLLECT DONATIONS TO FUND TRANSLATING THESE
INSTRUCTIONS INTO ALL LANGUAGES and mail a copy to every ham address, world
wide, that can be found.   Also to supply other national clubs with the
translations into their native languages for republication locally there.
I dream this would help.   73, Charly
I also dream of a QST cover that says "What is split?"