Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Posting Scores
From: Stuart Phillips <stu@ridgelift.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 18:29:14 +0000
> On Mar 25, 2015, at 8:34 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com> wrote:
>
> So many closed minds.............
>
> Think outside the box.  Think about how this or something else might
> encourage other people to get into radio.
>
> There was a time here in Colorado where a close group of guys got on for SS
> and were quite competitive.  I would have been pretty fun to watch them all
> with live scoring.
>
> I think XE2B takes it even further with live webcam.
>
> Sorry so many of you missed the point or Rick's post.
>
> Mike W0MU

Kevin K6TD and I have experimented using our own Live Scoring server with a
couple of the local contest clubs here in Northern California.  There’s a write
up of what was done in an article  in the November/December NCJ iF I recall the
date correctly.

The server only reported QSO and point total by submitter.  Discussions within
our club resulted in us thinking that band and multiplier break downs conveyed
more information on individual strategy than most were prepared to share.

We used the Live Scoring (LiveScores was the name we gave the server) in a
contest-within-a-contest which we did as an overlay on last years Ontario QSO
Party between REDXA, MLDXX and PL259.

It was a fun event and the Live Scoring clearly served as an added element to
operators as well as adding to the spirit of competition between friends!  I
guess it also helped that we weren’t competing against “just another callsign”
but knew the individuals and their stations which helped everyone relate to
what was going on.

Mike is right - with an open mind and the willingness to think outside the box,
live scoring has interesting possibilities!

If anyone is interested, happy to share the server code we used.  The “keep it
local” focus was a large contributor to the fun factor and the participation
level.

Stu K6TU