Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Technology - Phone Skimmer Nears Beta Test

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Technology - Phone Skimmer Nears Beta Test
From: iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:05:34 +0200
Hi all.
Mario I could agree with you partially. The DL4RCK RTTY was made and worked on field well before any other RTTY Skimmer. Almost two years ago there was a working network of DL4RCK RTTY Skimmer. All those working pretty well. Now I am looking, since almost January, as to make it easy, and the deployment of the VE3NEA Skimmers a lot of busted RTTY calls a lot of multiplier that are not multipliers and a whole plethora of bad call-signs spotted by the newest RTTY Skimmer. By myself my call was spotted as W1AYD several times in between IW1AYD. But also more easy calls that fall under simpler rules are busted since the new and not so bright RTTY Skimmer schema went on. Full stop.

About conservativeness, well you right Mario. We are still running everything we have on hands and also newest boxes mimicking older RS-232 communications channels. Nor the radio, nor the loggers, nor the SDR radios are moving one step into new ways og communicating. Somebody think that the USB is a good think as that simplify the whole thing. Isn't, at all. It's just mimicking serial ports in an affordable way for the consumer hamradio brands. It's silly and noisy, not insulated even if the insulation could be done at a fraction of an interface box. Last but not least one one radio is able to do FSK. But still not with a emulation of an UART but just with wire signaling control. So it prone to PC timing thus unutterably jitter-ready.

It's all daisy chained radios, native interfaces, drivers for all those even emulated and loggers.

The only SDR that I have seen a little bit advanced are those with the bandmap, cluster received calls BTW, over the waterfall. That's a big improvement if calls aren't already source busted.

But nothing else is really moving speaking about Contesting technology. Not even a simple gamer programmable keyboard applied to all those CTRL-EASYTOREMEBER or ALT-EASYTOFAIL commands. Not any single improvement. Just some small, quick, short, steps and not all forward. But just one forward and two backward to preserve habits under the compatibility cover. Conservative is too much brain consuming. We are much worse than conservative Mario. :-)

Hope that my English ... Standard disclaimer apply.

                        73 de iw1ayd Salvo