Re: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabril

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabrillo --...
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:55:25 -0700
On Sat,4/11/2015 3:11 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
However ... fixing key clicks is a much subtler, and yet more difficult to fix problem than bad audio.

Not necessarily. Many of the worst offending rigs have adjustable rise time. The fastest settings produce the worst clicks.

Also, we need to start considering rig cleanliness when making buying decisions. According to ARRL Lab tests, the cleanest rigs are the K3 and TS590D. The dirtiest are the Flex rigs, the IC7800, 7700, 7600, and the FTDX5000, FTDX3000. Since those tests, Yaesu issued a firmware update that significantly improved their keying, so that it's now on a par with Icom and Flex. A few weeks ago, Flex issued a software/firmware fix that improved their keying as well, but I haven't seen measurements that show the degree of improvement.

We need to TELL manufacturers that we want clean signals from their rigs, and that we will buy based on their performeance. Do that when you're in a booth at Dayton or Visalia!

73, Jim K9YC