Re: [CQ-Contest] TO7A debacle

To: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TO7A debacle
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 08:01:07 +0000 (UTC)
The various threads on this issue have been enlightening in the  number of
disparate views expressed.
The major question is . Do we wish to have our contests Policed or not? The
inescapable fact is that cheating is endemic in all forms of competition In
Athletics, in addition to what can be witnessed by all during the event, there
is drug testing. In motor sport the cars are examined to ensure that
specification rules have been followed; I could add more  examples but my point
is that compared to our sport  most other competition is relatively easy to
police.

Ham radio contesting is an unsupervised sport and, by it's nature can only be
based upon ;Honor and Trust', honor on the part of the entrant who signs a
declaration that he has abided by the rules, and trust on the part of the
organisers that the entry has been honestly declared.
It is laudable that CQWW Committee have taken on the task of ensuring, as far
as they can, that rules have been followed, yet, as we have seen, they are
condemned by some  because they have. What we are seeing is an 'Unofficial'
Appeal with Attorney's both for the Prosecution and the Defence. Because
entrants are unsupervised it is unrealistic for the defence to ask CQ  for
strict proof. That burden should be shifted to the entrant to show that he did
not cheat where the content of his log appears to be outwith the boundaries of
normal probabilities and he must comply with whatever subsequent material the
Committee request. Technical advances continue apace, the committee have only
tools which they have. Honor and trust.

It is beyond doubt that Dim is an operator of extraordinary abilities and it
could be unfortunate that he is so far ahead of the game to have come under
suspicion but the message should be clear both to him and others with similar
talents - be upfront when submitting logs to offer entire duration full view
recording where all equipment, inc PC's, can be plainly seen = otherwise simply
enter the 'Assisted' category. There will be howls of protest at this course of
action but, in all honesty, what can be the only alternative for a committee
always struggling to keep pace with innovation other than to accept the
inevitable one class category to the detriment of many of us who still prefer
to spin the dial?
As things stand presently we must not criticise CQ  for actions of which  we do
not have full information and, as W0MU  has stated, accept that the decisions
of committee are final.
73  Brian C4Z / 5B4AIZ.