[CQ-Contest] The Rise and Fall of Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Rise and Fall of Contesting
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 09:12:02 -0600
Many years ago contesting was a competition of an operator and station
against the world.  It was all hand logging and using the smarts between
one's ears.  I achieved some pretty good results both at home and on
dxpeditions (8P6B, J7D, ZF1MM, /VP2V, etc.  Essentially I proved to myself
that I could compete with the best.  And contesting was a good way to
increase my country/band count.  There were less ways of cheating.

Technology has in a way ruined contesting.  Today there are many more
different ways to enhance a score using the available technology.
Technology has become a crutch.

Consider the time wasted in trying to adjust the rules to cover all the
different categories and all the different technologies.  Contesting is
bogged down with rules and regulations.

Today if I decide to operate in a contest fully or just part time, I usually
don't submit a log.  Sometimes I am asked to submit a check log.  I don't
have to prove anything to myself.  Why should I submit a log with all the
rules mumbo jumbo and all the many more ways to cheat.  I operate just for
the fun of operating.  And yes I use some of the new technologies like
computer logging.

It's no longer an operator contest, but has become a technology contest.

Doug

Generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

---