Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 08:15:19 -0500
When I read the e mail from Charlie and the Stew Perry, I sent him the below message, but now since others seem to think possibly the same way, hey what the heck here it is for everyone.

Hi Charley,
I have a new contest I was working on several years ago that I think you would have loved if I had a way to get it running to the general public.
The scoring is as you said Distance based AND difficulty based.
This is how it would have worked.

Everyone works anyone. Every QSO is worth something.

Multipliers were the maidenhead Grid Squares, Like  EN  or FN  or "OK" etc.

Now this is where the difficulty part enters.
Voice mode contacts multiply QSO point values by 1, CW and all other Digital Modes Multiply QSO points by 2 CW and all the other "Digital" modes are thought of as a different mode. So a station can be worked on a Voice mode, and a CW, and also one of the Digital modes, so they can be worked 3 times per band.

QSO Points: I will use you location as an example.
On 160, 80, & 40 Meters:
A QSO with a station in "OK" square is worth 1 QSO point.
A QSO with any Square that Touches "OK" IE: NL, OL, PL, NK, PK, NJ, OJ, PJ HAVE A VALUE OF 2 QSO points.
A QSO with all other squares are worth 3 QSO points.

NOW on 20, 15, & 10 Meters:
The difficulty reverses, it is MUCH more difficult to make a QSO close in on the higher bands. SO.......

A QSO with "OK" is worth the 3 QSO points,
A QSO with any Square that Touches "OK" IE: NL, OL, PL, NK, PK, NJ, OJ, PJ HAVE A VALUE OF 2 QSO points.
A QSO with all other squares are worth 1 QSO points.

Thoughts?

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme