Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 14:18:13 -0700
From Steve's website:

Sorry, somehow the quotation didn't make it.  Trying again.

The QTH is on a hilltop, with very steep dropoff in all directions except west.

bullet Topographic Map <http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=12&X=975&Y=4544&W=1>(point marked 6905' is N2IC QTH)
bullet  View to EU <http://www.kkn.net/%7En2ic/view_to_eu.jpg>
bullet  View to JA <http://www.kkn.net/%7En2ic/view_to_ja.jpg>

I've operated FD QRP with a tribander and low dipoles from a 5,000 ft peak near Monterey, CA. I could hold a run frequency for most of FD on CW, and had rates around 70/hour at the end of the contest! It's like stealing candy from a baby. In Steve's case, it's like being at least 1,500 miles closer to whoever you're trying to work.

73, Jim K9YC