[CQ-Contest] Proposed contest rules

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Proposed contest rules
From: KQ2O via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 23:42:28 -0400
Personally I have never understood why the rules (or before rules, the
opinions) treat post contest (let alone during contest) editing of logs before
submission as a no-no. not talking about padding of course, but correcting
typos. I always thought the contest was about how many folks you could work as
well as multipliers and related strategy - NOT about your typing skills. Seems
to me if you notice an error in your log after the contest (or during), you
should fix it so it conforms to what you actually did during the contest, who
you REALLY worked or the REAL exchange, not leave the wrong info in the log.

besides affecting your score, plus penalties, failure to fix a simple logging
error also penalizes the guy on the other side of the qso who did nothing
wrong! he/she gets a NIL + penalty.

as for recording the contest, seems to me we are going way overboard on
"security". this is a fun hobby not a life and death operation. can't help but
think this comes from the TO7A debacle. I think imposing another requirement on
very many contesters when only a very few are cheaters is foolish, especially
since the cheaters always find workarounds - e.g. excess power, remote
receivers, etc., none of which are detectable, ordinarily, to continue on their
ways. probably will figure out how to workaround the recording as well. would
make much more sense to impose stronger "punishment" when someone is caught
cheating - e.g. TO7A type cheater should be banned for life from all contests
run by same sponsor (and maybe other sponsors would ;piggyback), and have any
prior submissions retroactively DQed, and records expunged. lesser offenses
would have appropriate penalties.

as an aside, seems like the log reviewers are very expert at what they are
doing even without recordings, and have developed fine technology to detect
rule breaking. they are to be commended.

Hank  KF2O