Re: [CQ-Contest] Spots, Lies and Audio Tapes - a proposal

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spots, Lies and Audio Tapes - a proposal
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 23:50:09 -0500
> Drowned out in much of the speculation and commentary on this reflector
> is the incredible amount of work put into the results by Randy and the Contest > Committee. They are the real heroes of contesting and deserve our profound
> thanks for their volunteer efforts.

Amen. It makes my brain hurt just to think of the hours expended on this. It's too easy to hit Send without considering all this is volunteer-based and largely uncompensated work on our behalf. Thanks...

> ...why not "test drive" the [recording requirement] (as with the original Observer program) and > phase in the concept with the group arguably most affected: SOAB Unassisted.

The suggestion has merit. Try it for a while and see what works and what doesn't. As Scott observes, it costs around $50 and requires only a Y-adapter to do a perfectly good job of recording the audio. This is trivial - I spent more on chair pads for my butt. The audio file would only be required on request from the committee - they are not trying to make extra work for themselves. Not making a recording would have minimal to no impact on the casual operators who are the lifeblood of the contest. Eventually, word will trickle out and people will get used to it just like submitting Cabrillo-formatted logs.

While I believe SOAB Unassisted will eventually fade away for a variety of reasons, it is still a highly prized mode of competition by top operators today. If something as simple and low-cost as an audio recording preserves the ability to distinguish between SOABU and SOABA by raising to an unacceptable level the risk of being detected at this particular mode of cheating, I would support asking SOAB Unassisted operators to record their operation. Put a five-year evaluation period on it and assess in 2020, then renew, revise, or reject.

73, Ward N0AX