Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 150, Issue 6

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 150, Issue 6
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 12:04:09 -0500 (CDT)
Another thing to consider...

Exactly what does  "1 - 10 place" mean?  What's the context?

Would this be merely Single Op?  Would there be "old fashioned" and
"technologically enhanced" categories?  Power?  Multi-single?

Or... would this be for SO only, and your power level gives you a multiplier...
if so, what are the breakdowns, and what would the multipliers be to "level the
playing field"

OTOH...

Considering the disparities that can exist on a given contest weekend --
specifically, considering that propagation may favor one region over others one
year, and a different one the next -- would it make more sense to make the
prizes regionally based?

For example (and this is just one of many possibilities), in a world-wide
competition, award rig to the top SO HP & SO LP in NA, SA, EU, AF, AS, and OC?
(Yeah, that's 12 rigs, but this is all theoretical anyway)

For a NA based event, set up 5 geographic regions, and award a rig to the top
SO HP & SO LP in each geographic region.

...hmmm, what about the QRP contingent? ...

This can get awfully messy, awfully fast.  And no matter how you slice the pie,
I'd betcha apples to oranges that someone, somewhere, will complain that their
region (they) are being unduly handicapped in favor of another region (someone
else).

Incidentally... which HF rig?  This too is not a minor point.  If the rig is,
say, a TS-480SAT (circa $1000 US right now), 10 rigs = $10,000.  Plus tax and
shipping costs.  So you'd need at least 500 paid entries to just barely break
even; and let's face it, many contesters would look at a rig at that level and
say "why bother?" and not enter.

Jump up to a K3S... specifically, a factory assempled K3S/100.  $2900 US right
now (with a nickel change), as per Elecraft's web site.  10 rigs, Now you need
1450 entries, just to buy the radios.  That's a heck of a lot of entries.
(Granted, not figuring in quantity discounts or possible donations from the
manufacturers, presuming for the moment that those won't happen -- at least not
the first year)

I'm not rejecting the overall idea out of hand.  I just don't think the number
of entries will buy the 10 or more HF radios being promised.

I think we'd be better off with a raffle.  Which I believe is not legal to
handle via the US mail at the present time.

I just don't think that this one's going to fly.

73, ron w3wn