Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ'ing for Dollars

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ'ing for Dollars
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:11:59 -0700

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Kelly. I don't think that W2CSI's proposal is as fundamentally insidious as Hans makes it out to be. I don't think it would do a thing to promote more contest participation, however, but it might make things a bit more interesting amongst those who do participate.

As far as leveling out the playing field, there are potentially simple ways to partially do that. W2CSI proposed handing out ten rigs as prizes to the top ten overall ... those could instead be divided up as a prize to the winner of ten different geographical regions. Taking it further, the geographical prize could go to the winner of a raffle amongst the top five or top ten from each region.

The biggest downside I foresee for something like this is that now we'd have some pretty serious incentive to cheat, and a lot more probability of it happening. Cheating is far more likely to occur the greater the stakes and the less the visibility into its occurrence. That would probably be my greatest objection to W2CSI's proposal.

By the way, I'm not even sure it would take a separate contest with it's own entry fee to do something like this. W2CSI could conceivably sell tickets to folks who plan to participate in any major contest and then hand out the rigs per the possibilities above. I suspect that would be legal on his part as long as it wasn't a money-making proposition for him, and it would probably be legal even if it made money for a non-profit group like the WWROF.

Just musing out loud ...

73,
Dave   AB7E