[CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting

To: sawyered@earthlink.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:07:42 -0600
Ed - You wrote:
        "I must have "missed the memo" on this one if there was ever any dialog
        concerning this.  Anyone else think this is just a bad idea?"
In July, the ARRL BOD directed the formation of an Ad Hoc Committee to
stimulate activity in VHF contests. In November, the committee published some
proposed rules changes and solicited comments on them. Most of the rules
changes were concerned with assistance. In January, new rules were announced by
the committee for the June and beyond contests. There was very little change
from the proposed rules; the changes primarily emphasizing that the assistance
used should not take the place of an actual QSO. The announcement was
accompanied by a statement that the proposed assistance had strong support.
There was no dialog, not at least in the classic Socratic sense, that
accompanied the rules changes. Rules changes were proposed, comments on the
rules changes were solicited, and the proposed rules changes were implemented.
I didn’t receive any feedback on my comments on the proposed rules changes, not
even an acknowledgement that they were received. I don’t think anyone else did
either. There was some discussion on the VHF contesting reflector about the
rules changes, but as far as I could tell, none of the committee members took
part in this. Given the history of trying to implement VHF contesting rules
changes, I guess this lack of opportunity for dialog is not surprising.
Yes, many of us think that overall this is a bad idea, not assistance in VHF
contests or even self spotting per se, but the manner in which it was
implemented. Yes, there is lots of opportunity for abuse. No, I don’t think
this alone will increase participation in the VHF contests.
As long as we are on the subject of VHF contests, look for KK6MC/r in the VHF
contest this weekend. You should be able to use the cluster, RBN, APRS, or a
cell phone to find out where I am. Hope for Es. - Duffey KK6MC/r