Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Programs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Logging Programs
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:11:03 -0400
WB9SBD asks:
> Now the odd thing is,, then why in all the sources of contest coverage,
> news, web pages, magazines, facebook etc. when someone is running a
> contest, all I ever see is the N3FJP Program, now it's a great program
> and I have nothing against it. but it seems really odd that if 40% use
> N1MM and only 3% use N3FJP, why is it that N3FJP all you ever see being
> used?

This is like asking "If all I see are ads for Fords, then why do none of
them look like the cars that win the Indy 500?"

I would suggest that contesters using N3FJP's software, spend little time
contesting, and have a lot of spare time to take selfies during the contest!

Below is my breakdown of loggers (arbitrarily set the cutoff at "10 or more
logs submitted claimed to be by this logger") sorted by average (mean, not
median) QSO's per log submitted, for CQWWCW2014. N3FJP is near the bottom
of the list (and several below it are obviously things like logs typed in
from paper and web Cabrillo converters).

To some extent, loggers with a reputation as "easy to use" do poorly in
this ranking because a large number of part-time contesters will use them.

I will note that the *average* (2124) QSO's per log for Win-Test, is larger
than the *largest number of QSO's* (1443) made by any N3FJP user.

I think if you are looking for "what do serious contesters use", sorting by
average QSO's per log results in a better list.

                mean
                QSO's
                per
Logs    QSO's   Log     First word in logger
----    ------- ----    --------------------
667     1416837 2124    Win-Test
30      37144   1238    TR
13      13497   1038    NA