Re: [CQ-Contest] Why send 5nn ?

To: Saulius Zalnerauskas <ly5w.sam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why send 5nn ?
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 06:52:28 +0300
Sam,

You say:  "No no no,I like it, we need this"  (regarding ENN, SNN, 5NN or
599

A little bit further down, the same LY5W writes:  "I hate (HATE) those
callers who are using CQ TEST YA0YA YA0YA TEST"

In my honest opinion Sam, your argumentation is inconsistent. In the first
place we "need" lots of combinations for Readability, Signal Strenght and
Tone. We "need" something that anyway is excess information. Everyone means
599 and sends this message one way or another. When a message is identical
from anyone, it is useless and should be considered to be omitted.

You claim that the word TEST is wasting your time, your rhythm and you
understanding. Yes, I agree, and that is why I move the word to the start
 TEST de RM2D RM2D   This message is not excessive, as it shows I
participate in the TEST and not just run common contacts CQ de RM2D RM2D.
That is why we should keep the TEST word in the CQ message, and preferably
at the beginning so it does not confuce.

So then back to the beginning...

Why do you "like" ENN, SNN, 5NN or 599?  Because there is a meaning or
purpose, or simply because YOU "like it" (but necessatily WE like it"`?
With the hand on the heart Sam, your rhetoric betrays your intention.  Or
do you "like it" because it is a habit for you? Or simply because it indeed
is a bad habit - and with useless information that does not add value to
the contest?

As said, some people see the different forms of 599 as an "alert signal",
to get ready to copy the important information. I think this argument is
not very good. My alert signal is my own call sign. If I hear my own call
sign, I know for sure, I should pay more attention and get ready for the
important part of the message (serial number, zone, age, State, licence
year, QRA etc).

I see no value in listening to ENN, SNN, 5NN and 599 before the real stuff
appears.

RM2D 001  (with some extra clarifying space between the last D of my call
and the serial number, is all I need.

Why should we change?  Because removing the useless additional identical
figures, will speed up RATE, This rate is an indicator of how skilled an
operator is. By increasing the rate, we make contest more competitive, and
we are able to define who is even a better operator.

Does it make sense?

I still maintain my opinion that the contest organizers ready to skip ENN,
SNN, 5NN or 599, are the modern ones looking for development instead of old
fashioned views....

73 de RM2D, Mats