Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: "Peter Dougherty \(W2IRT\)" <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 23:58:44 -0400
I would dearly love to see that rule come down about asking to be spotted.
It would only increase activity and participation, and hopefully allow
longer runs for smaller stations who might otherwise just shut the rig off
or go and do household chores when they CQ to dead air repeatedly and have
worked through pretty well everything spotted. The added benefit to this, in
my humble opinion, would be that it might give inexperienced operators more
time running pileups, thus allow them to more easily gain experience, and
there's no way that's a bad thing!

I'm not so sure I agree about self-spotting, however. You'd clearly get an
awful lot of abuse with 'bots posting spots every 5 minutes, etc.

I would respectfully suggest removing the prohibition about *asking* to be
spotted by someone else, and implement a rule about no more than 2
self-spots per hour, per band.

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT