Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: "Peter Dougherty (W2IRT)" <contesting@w2irt.net>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: Bob Kupps via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 05:39:48 +0000 (UTC)
      From: Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) <contesting@w2irt.net>
 To: cq-contest@contesting.com
 Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:14 AM

As a stateside op who likes to run I'm often frustrated by the lack of spots
generated by DX stations for guys on this side. I don't like the rule about
being unable to ask to be spotted but I'll never violate it. What I *might*
say to a caller, if I'm CQing to generally dead air, is "thanks for the
call, it was gettin' pretty lonely here." Once in a very long while someone
will give me a sympathy spot. And if not, I'll just try to find a new
fishing hole. If it were permitted to ask for spots I bet the average score
amongst mid-sized stations would go up by a million or two per contest due
to longer runs.

When it comes to me spotting I have the "spot all S&P QSOs" feature turned
on in N1MM. This spots any QSO that didn't appear in my bandmap that I enter
manually. I doesn't re-spot posted calls, however. I wish that feature was
set to on by default or would stay on once engaged but that's a policy
decision by Tom and his crew.

I try to remember to spot my fellow FRCers when I run across them, and I'm
extremely grateful when one spots me in return, but at the end of the day,
it seems that EU and Caribbean stations will be spotted far more than US
stations. In my own case, I was spotted 15 times during CQWW but a quick
search of a few of the Caribbean powerhouses with well over 100 spots. It's
no wonder they never run out of callers!

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT