Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: "Peter Dougherty \(W2IRT\)" <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:27:03 -0400
It may be a little distasteful to ask for a spot, but I think what will
happen is those who abuse the priviledge will become known as lids and
probably called out for it by their peers. And if you think about it, the
only reason you'd ask to be spotted is if you're only getting one or two
callers a minute - or less - almost to the point that switching to
point-and-shoot would improve rate. When I'm spotted and beaming to Europe
I'll have a massive snarling pileup within 30 seconds that will take about
10 or 15 minutes to work down. Asking to be spotted again will only add to
the bedlam and reduce rate. Ditto self-spotting.

I'm sure there's a balance between anything goes and no solicitation to spot
or self spotting and that's what I'd like to see. I sure don't want to see
the cluster become an flashing advertising billboard for a couple of
prolific spotters (complete with idiotic comments added) but at the same
time, modest stations like me (and thousands of others globally) might get
some better scores posted and work more stations as a result.

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT