Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?
From: Drew Vonada-Smith <drew@whisperingwoods.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 10:02:41 -0600
Friends,

I had to take this opportunity after the comment about the end of rare
sections...

I think all this remote work, trying to help J. etc is interesting and
wonderful and I really don't mean to be negative.  But...what is the point of a
"rare section" if you don't have to be there to operate?  Doesn't this in many
ways, miss the point of a multiplier?

As an analogous example, what if a DXpedition were to put up an automated
station in Bouvet, and operate it from home?  Bouvet becomes common.  What have
we really achieved?  HF propagation to Bouvet was never really the point, was
it?

I'm not a Luddite, I get the interest, good intentions, and technical
achievement in all this.  It sounds fun!  But as a test to see if I was just
narrow-minded or a fuddy-duddy, I ran this remote idea past a few non-hams who
know just enough about contesting to understand.  The comments I received were:

- That's bogus

- That's cheating

- You guys have lost your way

Can't say I disagree.  Food for thought.  Not to stop such operations, progress
will always move forward, but to try and recognize what it all means and
establish limits.

73,

Drew K3PA