Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention Future?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention Future?
From: "Bob Burns W9BU" <w9bu_lists@rlburns.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:50:10 -0500
Parse the words in that article.

"Dayton HamventionR General Chairman Jim Tiderman, N8IDS, is downplaying
talk arising from an October 2 television news report and a more extensive
and detailed October 3 Dayton Daily News article, that Hamvention might move
from Hara Arena as early as next year."

Of course the event chairman is downplaying negative talk about the event.
He doesn't want to lose ticket sales or vendor booth rentals due to negative
publicity.

"Tiderman characterized the reports "all speculation and rumor.""

In the absence of hard facts, people speculate. How many times have
Hamvention attendees heard rumors of improvements at Hara only to see
nothing happen? How many Hamvention attendees have looked at the facility
and wondered how the heck Hara gets an occupancy permit from the fire
marshal or health department for having such a large, three-day event at a
very run-down facility?

""In light of the Cox Media (Channel 7) television interview and the ensuing
Dayton Daily News article, I, as General Chairman of the 2015-2016 Dayton
Hamvention, want to assure all interested parties that the Dayton Hamvention
is fully committed to the 2016 Dayton Hamvention at Hara Arena and
Exposition Center", Tiderman stressed in a statement."

Uh, yeah, sure, the event chairman says that the event organizers are fully
committed to having the 2016 Hamvention at Hara Arena. While DARA may be
fully committed to having the event at Hara, is Hara fully committed to
hosting the event? Does Tilderman ever say that DARA has a signed and
binding contract with Hara to have the event there in 2016?

"We still keep an open mind to alternate plans, in case they become
necessary. All successful businesses need to do that, and Hamvention is no
different in that respect."

Ah, so DARA is keeping an open mind to alternate plans, but they aren't
saying what those plans are. I have no doubt that having alternate plans is
good business. Is not talking about those plans and attempting to dispel
rumors about them good business? Do Hamvention attendees and vendors deserve
to be told what the alternate plan is if the deal falls through at Hara?

"Dayton TV station WHIO reported on October 2 that the Dayton/Montgomery
County Convention and Visitors Bureau has been in discussion with the City
of Dayton on a plan to ensure that the world's largest Amateur Radio
gathering at least remains in Montgomery County, should Hamvention have to
find another venue because of Hara Arena's financial problems."

Huh? The convention and visitors bureau is working on alternate plans? Have
they talked to DARA about this?

"According to the media reports, representatives of the City of Dayton,
Montgomery County, Dayton Convention Center, and the Convention and Visitors
Bureau will meet this month to review options for Hamvention organizers in
the event a move from Hara Arena becomes necessary."

This article on the ARRL's web site was written October 4. "This month"
would have been sometime in October. It's now mid-November. What was the
outcome of this meeting? Was DARA involved in this meeting?

"Various alternative venues in the Dayton area are reported to have been
considered, including the Dayton Convention Center and the Dayton Airport
Expo Center, and the Dayton Daily News report said Tiderman has toured both
facilities."

Oh, so the event chairman has been looking at other facilities. This is a
useful nugget of information, though not definitive.

""We have shared the fate of the Trotwood/VenuWorks/Hara acquisition
proposal with the [Hamvention] Chairperson and select board members of
Hamvention," Wampler wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper report.
"While we have kept them informed throughout the process, they are reeling.
They have much to lose with Hara's closing and, like us, believed we were
close to stabilizing Hara for future growth, rather than ending her nearly
60-year run.""

This is probably the most damaging piece of information in the story. Hara's
director of marketing and a member of the family that owns the facility says
DARA is "reeling". They believed that the Wampler family was close to
"stabilizing Hara for future growth". Key word here is "believed". That's
past tense. That says to me that the opportunity is lost and the Wampler
family may have no option other than to sell the facility for the back taxes
they owe on the property.

"The newspaper account said that VenuWorks had recommended that the City of
Trotwood purchase Hara Arena, but the Trotwood officials turned down the
idea."

The Wamplers engaged VenuWorks to find a way to rejuvenate Hara. VenuWorks'
answer was to try to convince the City of Trotwood to buy the place. The
City of Trotwood said "no". So much for VenuWorks' bright ideas.

"Wampler subsequently told the newspaper that Hara Arena is in better
condition than it was when she drafted her July e-mail and that the event
complex will not close anytime soon."

Ah, so Ms. Wampler is engaging in spin control, too. What have the Wamplers
done to improve Hara's condition?

I could be all wet about Hara's condition and future. I could have my head
firmly up my posterior about DARA's plans. For DARA's sake, I hope
Hamvention continues because I know it's a big money maker for them. But,
with amateur radio licensing at a high point, hasn't the time come for a
professionally-organized amateur radio convention and exposition? Hamvention
has lost its luster as amateur radio's premiere event. Look at the growth of
other events like the Orlando HamCation and HamCom in Dallas/Plano. Look at
the number of newly-released radios being demonstrated by manufacturers at
events other than Hamvention. Hamvention's time has passed.

Bob...