Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention Future?

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention Future?
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:28:07 -0500
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum on QRZ and eHam.

As long as DARA wants to make money, they will keep Hamvention in Dayton.  I've
talked to a ham in Dayton who is a client and who spends a lot of time on the
road at trade shows and conventions.

There are no venues in the Dayton area (besides Hara) which can do what
Hamvention does and needs.

You need tailgate space, vendor and exhibitor space and conference room space.
 The convention center downtown has conference room and vendor/exhibitor space
but not tailgate space.  The trade center out by the airport has tailgate space
but limited exhibitor space and no real conference room space.

By losing either of those three items, Hamvention really falls apart.

According to my Dayton guy, the only place that can handle these three items in
the Southern Ohio area is the fairgrounds in Columbus - aside from Hara.

I doubt DARA wants to pull the stakes and have everything 75 miles east.

I've not gone to Hamvention in years but I expect a lot of slop when I go.
Comes with the hobby.  It's not the International Boat show or World of
Concrete or the ABA annual meeting. Nor will it ever be.

73 Rich NN3W

Sent from my iPhone