Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:15:54 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Ward:

It is NOT just what crosses the station boundary or local skimmers
(multi-channel decoders) would be permitted.  That would remove the major
distinction between the classes (IMHO).  I enjoy the unassisted categories and
believe these should be retained and remain very similar to the way that they
are defined now.  An essential part of that type of operation is finding QSOs
and multipliers by having the operator searh the bands....

I think contests that do not now distinguish between unlimited/assisted
categories (like WAE) will ultimately return to or create that distinction as
the technology used in the unlimited/assisted categories continues to advance.
Maybe the names change to something like "Classic/Restricted" and "Unlimited".

The CQ 160 is permitting (some) remote receivers now (fortunately, only in the
Unlimited/Assisted category :-) ) - a QSO now doesn't even require an RF signal
to be exchanged between two stations.

There is no end in sight to the advances in technology/connectivity as both
evolve and the changes that will occur in the unlimited categories.  The next
"frontier" may be automation - of the second station in an SO2R operation (and
additional stations in multi-operator categories) and, I expect sooner rather
than later, totally automated operation in CW and digital contests.

73,

Mark, KD4D