Re: [CQ-Contest] Off Topic - IC706MKIIG and Filtering

To: taholmes160@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Off Topic - IC706MKIIG and Filtering
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 07:27:13 +0700
Stop making things difficult.  Just get a filter or two and put them in.

Either ICOM brand or INRAD (which no longer lists CW filters for the 706,
but maybe the IC-703 or other rig will do same) and for CW, the 400 filter
is better than the 500 or 250 being like Red Riding Hood's porridge only in
this case Mom's porridge, in the middle, is the best.

I have tried em all, now have only the 400 and perfect, even from 9N.

73, Charly

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Timothy A. Holmes <taholmes160@gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI Folks;
>
> I have an IC706mkIIG that for the most part I really like, however, it
> does not have any filters of any kind in / on it.  I am planning to replace
> it as soon as I can, however between now and then, I would like to come up
> with some way to filter the received signals.  The radio has 2 slots for
> icom filters which are very difficult to find (at least according to
> vendors at Dayton this year) (and when you do find them they are expensive)
> I was wondering if there was a way I could tap that signal chain at the
> filter slots and take the signal out to my computer for audio processing,
> and then either hear it directly from the computer or return it to the
> radio for further "voodoo" before it gets to my ears.
>
> I'm not very familiar with receiver functioning nor audio processing like
> this so this is kinda stretching my limits a bit here as far as technical
> stuff goes, so I might need some in depth explainations
>
> Thanks
>
> TIM
> W8TAH

Charly, HS0ZCW