Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?
From: Marko L Myllymaki <marko.l.myllymaki@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:09:38 -0800
I think both are good ways to handle it.  Also from DX station side who
does not ID.  If he does not ID he does not want/need you to enter into his
pile-up, he is busy already working down what he has.  But if you do work
him without knowing his call and he does not tell you his call when asked
yes he deserves that NIL penalty.

I've been there on DX side also multiple times.  You also have frustrations
there.  Mainly 2 issues nowdays:  Lot of people are answering exactly on
same frequency as they have clicked spot.  Those who tune off just a bit
get in and out fastest.  Bigger problem in last couple years has been
constant calling.  It is very frustrating when you answer stations and they
do not hear you coming back to them as pile up is still raging on.  Lot of
people don't seem to listen at all.  You essentially have to repeat each
transmission and it will halve your rate.  This is especially issue if you
are operating from far-away like from Africa or Asia to US or Europe with
lesser signal level than from say between zones 7, 8 or 9 and US.  My
solution to this has been to do split.  I can completely understand why
N1YC was doing it from 4W last weekend.  Of course you sometimes will then
cause problems to others as you take more bandwidth from already packed
band.  And I have received couple complains of that myself.  (Yes, good
idea to do it high on band as I have usually done.)  But at the end I have
invested my time and money to travel somewhere not only to have fun myself
but also to give rare multiplier to folks in the contest.  If there are
couple unhappy guys after the weekend as I interfered with them due to my
split operating I'm sorry but so be it.  Cannot make everyone happy all the
time.  Maybe more people were happy of the multiplier.
73 de Marko N5ZO

Better yet, try to work them. When they come back to you, send them the report
and "call?". If they ignore you, then move on. You log nothing. They log
you. They will get a NIL penalty. Good.

73,
Steve, N2IC