Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Your Call?
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:09:24 +0000
I love drinking from the RBN firehose.

>From my perspective, part of the attraction for assistance is the result of
>playing with different goals in mind / different definitions of fun, and in
>finding the challenge in other respects.

I love the adrenaline that gets flowing when the rate meter goes higher.
Click-and-pounce yields a higher rate than search-and-pounce.

Yes, you lose much of the challenge of finding and identifying run stations,
but you still have the challenge of answering the question, "how do I get this
guy in my log fastest?"

While the adrenaline is what really got me hooked on contesting, I get the
intellectual stimulation in a contest by contemplating strategy and tactics.
Do I run, or do I click? Should I try to get this station in my log, or should
I move on? What's the most efficient way to work all these stations on my
bandmap? How should I adjust my filters to get the most workable set of spots,
given relative propagation and rx capability of my station versus the skimmers?
 There isn't anybody on 10, but if I go up there anyway and run, will I be
picked up by a skimmer and will others join me? There are two stations running
here; can I get the synchronization to make a double-play possible?

I can think about those questions a little better with the additional brain
processing power freed up from finding more stations to work.

Also, there is still the magic of watching propagation change during a contest,
that thrill of stumbling upon a good mult before the packet pileup has started,
and those happy surprises like "holy crow, I just worked an ultra-rare 2×2 GJ0
call!"  ;)

I can empathize that SOA may be less magical than SO, but the fun is usually
where you seek it.
--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org