Re: Topband: Am I the only one in step?

To: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Am I the only one in step?
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:19:54 -0500
I think there is a few things that need to also be taken into account.

A bandplan is designed for *normal* band loading.  Clearly, when there is a
contest on, we are NOT dealing with normal band loading.

As has been noted, antenna bandwidth is part of the issue.

Phone contests will take up two weekends out of the year on Topband.

What happens when there is a CW contest?  We move up the band to accomodate
the extra activity...  With a phone contest, with folks using <1Khz
spacing, every little of extra space helps.  So yes - folks DO move down
into the CW part of the band.

But - I cannot help but wonder - why would someone plan a DXpedition (much
planning involved), and NOT take a 160 phone contest into consideration?  I
have seen some DXpeditions go to the WARC bands if there is a major contest
on when they are on.  Or - they operate the other mode (operate CW when
there is a phone contest on, and vice versa).  Could a DXpedition not stay
off 160 for the weekend they are there (assuming they are not there FOR the
contest), and focus on 80 meters instead?  Not EVERY serious DXer is on
160, and I am sure more than a few of them would appreciate the extra
attention (a weekends worth) to their favorite band/mode/whatever as the
DXpedition does not operate on Topband.

Just "seems odd" to me.

Tom - VE3CX

<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>