Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB Voice Keying

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB Voice Keying
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 18:49:21 +0000 (UTC)
A "shield" in this context just means an add-on board for an Arduino
microcontroller...nothing to do with cable shields  :)
I've been playing with an external voice keyer I built using a Teensy
microcontroller and a different audio board. See
http://pjrc.com/store/teensy32.html. In my implementation sound files are
stored on a micro SD card so there is plenty of room for lots of messages.
Theoretically it could be used to voice letters/etc although I don't know how
well that would work in practice.  N1MM and most logging programs that can send
serial messages to an OTRSP device should be able to use it as a simple voice
keyer.

I haven't had time to put the firmware source on github but will soon. If you
are interested email me.

TorN4OGW

    On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:16 PM, Jim Brown
<k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On Wed,3/2/2016 7:35 AM, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> I have a plan to use an audio shield (velleman KA02) using ISD1700 for
> Arduino.
> Builtin switches on the shield will not be used, and it will be controlled via
> USB serial so that logging software can handle.

A cable shield must NEVER be connected to anything but the shielding
enclosure at the point of entry. Putting that another way, a cable
shield must ALWAYS be connected directly to the shielding enclosure at
both ends. Anything else is a source of hum, buzz, and RFI.

Yes, I know that nearly all ham rigs fail to do this, but the
manufacturers are WRONG. For engineering analysis of this, see my
tutorials on "The Pin One Problem" on my website, also the AES Papers on
my website, and the tutorial appendix to AES48, which can be downloaded
from the AES Standards website (but not free).

73, Jim K9YC