[CQ-Contest] New hamvention location

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New hamvention location
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 15:51:08 -0400
The last few years I have attended both Huntsville and Orlando. Both are very
good and have contesting activities.

Huntsville is held in the Von Braun center which is a modern arena with
associated other rooms attached to it. The whole flea market is inside. It is
also attached to an Embassy Suites hotel via a covered walkway. The Alabama
Contest Group has a contest suite on Friday night and then a dinner on
Saturday. BTW it's coming up on August 19th.

As others have mentioned Orlando is held at the fairgrounds. Only one of the
buildings is used for the typical national vendors you see at the larger
hamfests. A couple other buildings are used for the flea market and there is an
overflow that goes outside.

The highlight for me is the various events that are put on by the Florida
Contest Group. A nice contest dinner on Friday night followed by a contest
forum and FCG meeting/lunch at a local restaurant on Saturday. Recently a lot
contesters from outside Florida have shown up. It's interesting every year to
see who comes down to Orlando.

It will be interesting to see how the new Hamvention location works out. I'm
just wondering if they have rooms where the forums can take place or if they
will relocate them? N2IC mentioned there was a nearby high school. If you
remember there was a year that the contest forum at Dayton was held at a high
school down the street from Hara. Maybe they will do the same in Xenia?

Many of you might not know but back in 1974 Xenia was practically leveled
during a major tornado breakout.
http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ddn_archive/2011/04/19/xenia-tornado-of-1974/

Jeff KU8E

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid