Re: [CQ-Contest] New hamvention location

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New hamvention location
From: "Bill Mader" <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 17:28:43 -0600
The Huntsville (44 dealers) and Orlando ("17,000" attendees in 2016)
hamfests are not the size of HamVention.  I attended HamCation (2014) and
the ARRL Centennial Convention.  The latter, as mentioned previously, was a
first class event.  The former was much less than expected, especially with
the rain.  It's unlikely I'll do Orlando again unless I am in the area.

On the other hand, I've attended HamVention since 1970, when I first moved
to OH, all but three times when I was stationed in Europe.  Sadly, Hara
Arena has finally met its long-deserved demise although I will miss (most)
the entertainment it provided me and others over the decades.

One of my new favorite ham radio conventions is the IDXC in Visalia.  Like
the ARRL Centennial, it's held in a very nice venue, adequate for its size.
The same is true for HamCon-Colorado, Hamcom (Irving TX), and my (now)
hometown event--the Duke City Hamfest.  I wouldn't miss any of these, nor
HamVention, in spite of the travel involved for all but Albuquerque.

I give credit to the volunteers who make these events successful!  Having a
managed a much smaller hamfest (Cherryland in Traverse City MI), I know the
planning and hard work necessary to make them successful.  While I don't see
how HamVention will fit into its new venue, I'll give the organizers the
opportunity to pull it off.  I always look forward to Contest University,
the DX Dinner, the Contest Dinner, and meeting many old friends at those
plus the K8TE Hospitality "Suite" in the Flea Market.  I guess I'll get new
space numbers for 2017.

73, Bill, K8TE