Re: [CQ-Contest] K9YC, WRTC, deep pockets

To: Contest List <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K9YC, WRTC, deep pockets
From: Mike Ritz <w7vo@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 15:28:00 +0000 (UTC)
You are spot on, Doug. If you look at just about any of the professional sports
teams, (or even the Olympics), WRTC (for the most part) is not much different.
The guys with the most resources (take that to mean financial backing) are
usually on top. That does not make watching the events they produce any less
entertaining.

To me, WRTC is for ham radio to showcase the "best of the best", and yes, that
means that most of the competitors have substantial financial backing that got
them there. That does not make the competition itself any less entertaining,
just like watching a Formula One race, or the Olympics.

The purpose of WRTC is to showcase talent on a level playing field, just like
the Olympics. How they got there is really immaterial, other than a storyline
provided when the little guy wins.

If you want to win big in just about any team sport you have to put up however
many big bucks it takes to get there, plus have the talent and dedication get
the job done. WRTC is, and should be, no different.

73;
Mike
W7VO