Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 14:51:59 -0700
I'd be very surprised if many serious contesters were using a single wire antenna fed with ladder line on all bands as a primary TX antenna, for exactly the reasons John cites.

My advice is to work toward some form of resonant, coax-fed antenna for the bands you want to work and the contests you want to work. Candidates are 1) resonant dipoles -- a fan dipole for 20/15/10 is easy to build and fit into most lots if you have something to hang it from; 2) a multi-band vertical on your roof, selecting from one of those that N0AX and K7LXC tested about 15 years ago that performed well and doesn't need radials. And, of course, consider a small beam. The Force 12 C3 and C3SS are great performers and not very big. Our CQP team owns three of them, all bought used.

Lots about this on my website -- look for the applications notes about Antenna Planning. k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC