Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 19:05:41 -0400
A 130 ft center fed zepp is a pretty good multi-band antenna if you are limited
on what you can put up but you should be aware of the antenna patterns this
antenna produces on the different bands. Mine is oriented broadside NE/SW. Here
is what you can expect on the different bands :

80 meters - Pretty much acts like a dipole.

40 meters - Bi-directional broadside to the wires. Deep nulls off the side.
Mine being NE/SW it works great to EU , VK/ZL and the east coast. It really
sucks to the central US and west coast. I have a 2nd antenna on 40 meters
oriented NW/SE which works much better in those directions.

20 Meters - 4 leaf clover pattern. If someone isn't in one of the nulls it
works good. For the same reason I described on 40 meters I have a 20 meter
dipole oriented NW/SW as a 2nd antenna.

15 Meters - Even more lobes. About 8 on 15 meters. Again you have nulls in many
directions. I have a 2nd antenna - a vertical loop on this band. There is a lot
of voltage floating around when you tune a zepp cut for 80 meters on this band
that can cause RF in your equipment. Make sure it's grounded good.

10 meters - Even more lobes and nulls. Same issues I described for 15 meters. I
also have another vertical loop for this band.

160 Meters - If you short the open wire feed line you can use a zepp as a top
loaded vertical. With a good radial system it's an excellent antenna. Even with
something less it works well enough to be heard on the top band.

Jeff KU8E

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid