Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest preferred segments in WAE

To: wrtc2018@lists.wrtc2018.de, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest preferred segments in WAE
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 13:02:49 -0400
This is not a trivial matter for those competing to qualify forWRTC2018,
since disqualification from WAEDC also disqualifies one from competing at
WRTC2018.
The rule is susceptible to being read either way, at least in its English
translation.

The WAEDC contest organizer should re-state and clarify on these reflectors
the rule with regard to observing the contest-preferred segments of the
IARU Region 1 band plan, and then enforce it in the log-checking stage.
Enforcement is pretty easy, since chances are that for any QSO one or the
other station is logging precise frequencies, even if not required.

Or change the rule if that is the desire.  Right now it appears that some
read the rule as mandatory, some as voluntary, and some point out that it
appears to not have been enforced if it is mandatory.  What is important is
that everyone understands and plays by the same rules, So let's just have a
clear statement of what is expected.

For background, in its English translation, the WAE rule reads:

According to IARU recommendations operation should be avoided outside
contest-preferred segments. No operation to take place on:

*CW* : 3560-3800; 7040-7200; 14060-14350 kHz
*SSB*: 3650-3700; 7050-7060; 7100-7130; 14100-14125; 14300-14350 kHz.
Some could find this formulation to be unclear.  In one interpretation, the
first sentence refers to the IARU recommendations. The second sentence
adopts the IARU Region 1 recommendations as requirements for the
competition, and without exception, so it applies to all competitors
worldwide.  (This makes sense since WAEDC is a "world-work-EU-only"
contest, so no valid QSO is possible inside the excluded band segments.)

In the other interpretation, the second sentence merely explains the
recommendations referenced in the first sentence.

DK4VW's interpretation, that presumably is based on the German language
rules, is that it is mandatory.  DK4VW is Chairman of the IARU Region 1 HF
Committee C4, and is clear in his explanation of how to interpret the
Region's bandplan with regard to contesting and says that the DARC contests
make the IARU bandplan recommendations mandatory.  But he is not the WAEDC
organizer, so this is not dispositive.

*Contest Preferred Segments*

 With its bandplan the IARU Region 1 gives recommendations to participants
and organizers of contests to use only specific parts of the band, so
called “contest preferred segments” for contest activities. This allows
those amateurs not interested in contests, to use parts of the bands
without contest activity. The last IARU Region 1 conference in Cavtat 2008
underlined this with additional recommendations. Some societies (e.g. DARC,
UBA, USKA, VERON etc.), but also IOTA and the Scandinavian Contest regulate
the allowed contest frequencies by rule or make the IARU Region 1 bandplan
mandatory for participants.

Contest operation outside the specified segments is a violation of contest
rules and the adjudicator can take appropriate measures. Though IARU Region
1 cannot force the individual amateur to follow  the bandplan everybody is
encouraged to understand the principle of self regulation and to follow the
recommendations.

(see: http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/743/)

This issue is on the CQ-Contest and WRTC2018 reflectors, so I am posting
this to both.  For the record, I am not competing for a WRTC2018 position,
but I "feel the pain".  When I operate this weekend, I would like to know
definitively whether I should or should not answer stations outside the
contest-preferred segments.

73, Dave K3ZJ

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 4:37 AM, Michael Hoeding, DL6MHW <dl6mhw@wrtc2018.de>
wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> 1st: WAEDC is organized by DARC as a member of IARU - so the DARC has to
> follow the band plan of IARU. The CQ contests are organized by the
> independent sponsor CQ that is not forced to follow IARU. The tradition and
> the huge activity need the whole band.
>
> However there are some changes in the IARU Region 1 band plan defining now
> --> "contest preferred" sections, e.g. 3600-3650 and 3700-3800
> --> instead of "contest free" sections, e.g. 3650-3700
> a chance for changes
>
> 2nd: WRTC is not DARC - the decision is generally on the side of the
> contest organizer - the contest manager is Helmut DF7ZS
> ---
> another aspect - if the organizer allows to use 14.300 plus also the area
> 14.300-14.350 will be occupied by high power stations also in WAEDC. The
> section is only available since many stations follow the rule.
>
> 73 de Michael, DL6MHW
>
> Am 06.09.2016 um 02:38 schrieb Saulius Zalnerauskas:
>
>  How about this: SSB: 3650-3700; 7050-7060; 7100-7130; 14100-14125;
> 14300-14350 kHz. Why it is allowed in CQ WW, CQ WPX, etc....but in WAEDC
> not? Can You imagine Low Power station trying to find free frequency to
> call CQ in USA opening on 40 or 20m? Europe is big territory, but we
> (north-east people) can't find QRG, really, only 14.300 plus it is more
> possible, or 40m where west european KW monster (each 3 kHz) - where to
> call CQ?????????
> Sam LY5W
>
> --
>
>  Michael Höding, DL6MHW