Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesting Classification

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contesting Classification
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:03:47 -0500
Exactly! I don't know why it is so hard for some people to grasp this. If
the path between the transmitters/receivers of both stations is via the
aether, ionosphere, free space or whatever you want to call it, then the
QSO is entirely by radio.

And these links are NOT necessarily over the internet. Remote station
control could be by microwave link (I know of instances where this actually
happened), laser links, INMARSAT phone (I know where this has happened,
too), landline telephone, even CB walkie-talkies controlling the ham
station from a block away. I was involved in an instance of the latter many
years ago. It was an interesting and fun experiment. We couldn't control
the frequency of the station but we could talk a couple blocks away from
the station using considerably modified CB walkie-talkies..

VOIP,  Echolink are NOT the same thing. These mainly VHF links involve the
radio signal entering the world of internet BETWEEN STATIONS. Part of the
actual path between transmitter and receiver is over internet. To me, this
is not even CLOSE to having a transmitter and receiver and intervening path
being entirely by RF with only the control location being on a different
link. What difference does it make if the controller is one block, five
miles or 4,000 miles away? And I want to reiterate that internet is NOT the
only way to accomplish this, as I outlined above.

73, Zack W9SZ