Re: [CQ-Contest] oxidized inner conductor when coax carries DC power

To: george.harlem@gmail.com, on5zo@telenet.be
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] oxidized inner conductor when coax carries DC power
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 10:37:00 -0500 (CDT)
 George,

I've found over time that the easiest way to remove Coax Seal (or some of the
more generic knock-offs) is to first wrap the intended connector(s) in
electrical tape, then put the Coax Seal on top of that (completely covering the
tape from end to end).  If done properly (famous last words), it seals just as
well, and removing the stuff later comes down to peeling most of it off the
tape, then removing the tape.

I've had hams tell me that that's overkill, especially when they're making a
"permanent" juncture (coax from antenna meeting up with coax from shack, for
example).  But as Murphy's Laws of Radio Communications will tell us, that
almost guarantees that you'll have to undo the juncture at the most
inconvenient time in the most inconvenient way.

73, ron w3wn