Re: [CQ-Contest] oxidized inner conductor when coax carries DC power

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] oxidized inner conductor when coax carries DC power
From: Gerry Treas K8GT <k8gt@mi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 00:24:54 -0400
The only black copper oxide that I experienced was the shield on a 100' run of RG213 due to a squirrel or more likely a rabbit chewing a small hole in the jacket. Had to cut 4-5 feet out of the middle of it.

Yes CoaxSeal is terrible to clean off everything. The very best thing to clean it with was with Freon TF in the late '60s and in the '70s before it got outlawed. It was used at TV stations to clean videotape residue from the rotating heads on 2" Quadruplex VTRs. It would wash CoaxSeal off and be dry in about 5 seconds. Also good for cleaning oil based paint off paintbrushes. Nowadays I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol which does a moderately decent job of cleaning it off..

I quit CoaxSeal and went to 3M #2242 self vulcanizing rubber slicing tape available at most of the Home Improvement stores or major hardware stores at about $3.50 a roll.. Properly installed it is as good as CoaxSeal without the mess. Unfortunately it is not UV resistant so requires a covering of PVC tape. A wider but more expensive version is Scotch #130 which requires fewer wraps to cover the same length.

73, Gerry, K8GT